Call for Artists: RFQ for Light Rail Installations
Artlink Seeks 2-D Work For Neighborhood Way-Finding Program
Submission Deadline: July 21, 2014
Through a Reinvent Phoenix grant from the City of Phoenix, Artlink will provide fabricated signage connecting three Valley Metro light rail stations to critical historic institutions, cultural organizations, emerging businesses and entrepreneurs in the surrounding neighborhoods. The three stations include: McDowell and Central Ave.; Roosevelt St. and Central Ave.; and 12th Street and Jefferson.
The signage will:
- Incorporate the unique vision of each neighborhood as expressed through Reinvent Phoenix and Roosevelt Row community outreach workshops
- Incorporate culturally rich aspects of each neighborhood
- Create an engaging, accessible “welcome mat” for residents and visitors as they come off the light rail
- A different artist will be selected for each station by community panels that will include neighborhood stakeholders along with representatives from Valley Metro, the City of Phoenix and Artlink. After being chosen, the artist(s) will meet with the community stakeholders to create the concept for the original piece for that station.
- The finished product will include an original piece of art
- A digital image of the work will be reproduced as 94″H X 106″W mesh banners affixed to the station platforms.
- In addition to the platform banners, the final image will be reproduced as a poster and distributed to cultural organizations and businesses in the neighborhood surrounding the station.
- The City of Phoenix and Artlink will retain the right to use the final image to promote the way-finding program in other outlets.
- Winning artists will receive a $2000 stipend
Project Timeline/Important Dates
- Deadline for RFQ submissions: Monday, July 21, 2014 at midnight.
- Panel selection meetings: Week of July 21
- Winning artist(s) notified: Friday, July 28.
- Artist(s) must meet with neighborhood stakeholders to discuss their vision as soon as possible after notification and will be required to meet again with the stakeholders to get concept approvals by: Monday, August 11.
- Finished images delivered to Artlink: Monday, September 8.
- Banners installed at stations: week of September 22
- Posters distributed throughout neighborhoods: week of September 22
- Opening/artist reception: TBD
The Artlink board reserves the right to change the project timeline.
- Any artist currently living and working in Arizona.
- The artist must be prepared to complete the project within the project timeframe.
How to Apply
Artists interested in this project must prepare and submit:
- A resume or c.v. (Word doc)
- An artist bio (Word doc)
- Up to 10 images (pdf’s or jpgs), with titles, dates of completion, materials used in the original work, and any other information deemed necessary.
Submission Deadline: Please submit all materials to firstname.lastname@example.org by midnight, July 21.